Car accidents happen for many reasons. Drivers are careless, and their negligent actions can lead to a car wreck in Missouri. While you can do your best to be a defensive driver, it is hard to avoid a car accident that is caused by another. Fortunately, you have rights when it comes to the law and can take legal action against those that cause you and your family harm.
While many Missouri car accidents cannot be avoided, it is a good idea to be aware of some of the common causes of car crashes that are the fault of another driver so that you can be on the look out when you are on the road.
- Impaired driving: Drinking and driving is dangerous no matter what time of the day it happens. A driver’s reaction time is reduced when they are under the influence and it can easily put you and your family at risk when you are on the road with a drunk driver. If you see a driver that seems to be impaired, stay back and do not try to pass. Passing their vehicle could cause them to swerve into your lane and cause a car accident where someone is hurt. Impaired driving can also include driving while under the influence of drugs. This is becoming more of a common phenomenon. If you are involved in a Missouri car accident where impaired driving is involved, you have a case that deserves a settlement, especially if you are injured because of these reckless actions.
- Speeding: Driving over the posted speed limit is a danger for everyone. Speed limits are for your safety and a driver that goes above these limits is acting in an illegal way. When you are involved in a car accident in Missouri where the other driver was traveling at a high rate of speed, injuries can easily occur and cause you harm. Since this is an accident caused by the other driver, you would be entitled to compensation for their illegal actions. When you see a driver driving over the speed limit, is best to allow them to pass so you do not become involved in an accident because of their negligent actions.
- Tailgating: When a driver tailgates you, it can be infuriating. They are putting you and your family in danger and could easily hit your vehicle with their aggressive behavior. The best course of action in a tailgating situation is to pull over and allow the driver to pass you before a Missouri car accident occurs because they are following too close. When a car accident occurs because a driver cannot stop in time because they are following too close, you should seek the assistance of a Missouri car accident attorney to help you with your case. Establishing fault is easy in your suit and a settlement award is necessary to pay for your injuries and property damage.
- Distracted driving: When a driver is not paying attention to the road and is distracted, a Missouri car accident can easily occur. Distracted driving is becoming more of a problem as motorists are engrossed in their cell phones, texting, eating, reading, or even daydreaming. These actions can cause a driver to swerve in and out their lane into oncoming traffic or not stop in time to avoid a car accident in Missouri. When distracted driving is the reason for your car accident, you need to speak to a Missouri car accident attorney to fight your case and get you the settlement award you deserve for your injuries and property damage that occurred.
- Poor weather conditions: While the weather is an act of mother nature, it can still cause a car accident in Missouri if all drivers on the road are not cautious. If road conditions are unfavorable and a driver is going too fast for the weather conditions, it is their fault that the accident occurred. Poor weather conditions require more caution when driving and an aggressive driver can make the roads dangerous for everyone. If you see a driver not being careful, allow them to pass you or pull over to give them space. Fighting or jockeying for position when the roads are slick or visibility is at a minimum can cause an accident that is the fault of another driver.
- Reckless driving: Some of the most dangerous driving on the road is reckless driving. When a driver purposely drives in a way that puts other’s safety at risk, a Missouri car accident can occur that can seriously hurt someone. High rates of speed, disobeying traffic laws, and just being aggressive are all considered reckless driving and need to be avoided at all costs. If you are involved in a car accident in Missouri where the other driver was driving erratically or recklessly, you have a right to file a lawsuit to prove they were at fault for your car crash. Allow a Missouri car accident lawyer to handle your case and prove the negligence of the other driver in your suit.
Do I Need a Missouri Car Accident Attorney?
When a car accident in Missouri strikes, you want the help of an attorney to fight your case. They will work to prove fault and present evidence in court if necessary to establish that the other driver caused the accident. A Missouri car accident lawyer will make sure that your claims are heard and can negotiate with the insurance companies to reach a settlement that is fair for your injuries and property damage.
Having a Missouri car accident attorney on your side will make the process of getting a settlement for your case faster and easier. They know the legal system and will support you throughout your case to ensure fair compensation for your suffering.
If you are involved in a Missouri car accident caused by the negligent actions of another driver, the attorneys at Krause & Kinsman Law Firm can help you fight for your legal rights. They will represent you in your car accident case and make sure you receive a fair settlement. Contact us today to set up a consultation.
Adam Krause is a personal injury, mass tort, business litigation, and employment discrimination attorney who practices in Kansas City, Missouri. He graduated from the University of Missouri Kansas City School of Law and has been practicing law for several years now. Adam Krause has made a career of taking complicated litigation and presenting it in the most elementary terms for a jury of your peers to understand. Learn more about his experience here.