I Was Hit By a U-Haul. Who Do I Sue?

U-Haul, Penske, Budget, and other moving vehicle rentals are certainly convenient, and much less expensive than hiring a moving crew to pack and drive your belongings across town or across the country to your new home. However, the drivers who rent cargo trucks often have little-to-no experience driving these large vehicles.

Strangely enough, it takes no special certification for a person used to driving a sedan to pack up and get behind the wheel of a 34-foot-long long U-Haul with a maximum weight of 25,999 pounds, according to U-Haul. All that is needed is a valid driver’s license. Adults as young as 18 are allowed to rent and drive this dangerous size of moving truck. Not surprisingly, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, rental truck drivers are more likely to cause fatal crashes than are professional commercial truck drivers.

Even more dangerous, some users attach trailers to their moving vehicles, essentially turning them into slightly smaller-sized semi-trucks. Do-it-yourself moving truck drivers are typically unfamiliar with how wide and long their vehicle is, how much time it takes to stop, how to properly load the vehicle so the weight is evenly distributed and not top heavy, the distance they need to give between themselves and other vehicles, how fast they should be driving, how to properly and safely take a sharp corner, how to change lanes or exit off ramps safely, and how to simply back up.

Who Is Responsible for Paying My Damages?

When two passenger vehicles collide and one driver is at fault, the other driver and his or her insurance company are liable for the other’s damages. When that driver is operating a rental vehicle, such as a moving truck or van, things become a little more complicated. If you were hit by a do-it-yourself moving truck, the following parties may be held liable:

  • The driver’s personal auto insurance company;
  • The insurance company of the moving truck or van;
  • Your own uninsured motorist coverage; and, potentially,
  • The personal auto insurance company of the person who rented the vehicle, even if they were not the one currently driving when the crash occurred and the driver responsible was a friend or family member.

As such, there are often multiple insurance policies to pursue damages from when moving vehicles are involved in auto collisions that result in personal injury. This is certainly a good thing for victims, as the injuries and other damages sustained in crashes caused by such large trucks are often severe and substantial.

Filling a Lawsuit Is Usually Unnecessary

In most traffic injury cases, the plaintiff never has to file a lawsuit, or if a lawsuit is filed, the matter is typically settled out of court. It is much more expensive and time-consuming for both parties to go to court, and it is in your best interest if your attorney settles with the other party.

Kansas City, Missouri Attorney Can Help You File a Claim Today

If you were injured in a collision with a moving truck or moving van, you need to contact a Kansas City attorney for help with your claim. Do not hesitate to contact the Kansas City law offices of the Krause and Kinsman Law Firm today at 816-399-3356 to schedule a free consultation.

Super Lawyers Krause LogoSuper Lawyers Krause Logo
Rising Stars Krause LogoRising Stars Krause Logo
Best of KC LogoBest of KC Logo
Top 40 Under 40 LogoTop 40 Under 40 Logo
Rising Stars Kinsman LogoRising Stars Kinsman Logo
Super Lawyers Kinsman LogoSuper Lawyers Kinsman Logo
Avvo Rating KrauseAvvo Rating Krause
Kansas Trial Lawyers Association LogoKansas Trial Lawyers Association Logo

Tell Us Your Story

We know it's difficult to tell your story - but we don't mind difficult. We're here to listen and help. Schedule a free case evaluation with Krause & Kinsman so you can be heard.

Krause and Kinsman Law Firm


Get in touch with us today to get started with your FREE case review. We're only a call, click, or short drive away.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute legal advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific legal issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a meeting with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form below.