What Happens If I’m Injured on Someone Else’s Property?

Part of daily life in an urban area like Kansas City involves going places – work, school, the supermarket, shops, even a Chiefs game. However, though you probably don’t think about it, injuries from falls, shocks, falling objects, and other hazards happen all the time in places outside your own home. They’ve even probably happened to you! However, as a visitor to someone’s property in Missouri, the premises owner is supposed to keep you safe. If you’ve been hurt on someone else’s property, talk to a Kansas City personal injury attorney to learn the basics about premises liability and understand if you may be entitled to compensation. 

Property Owner Duties in Missouri

Kansas City property owners have a legal duty to maintain their premises so as not to pose a hazard to visitors. If a dangerous condition does exist, the owner is required to warn visitors about the dangerous condition as well as to correct the hazard or condition in a reasonable amount of time.

Depending on the type of visitor you are, the owner may owe a different duty of care to you than others. Failing to do their duty can result in their liability for your injuries. 

  • Trespassers – Someone such as a burglar who doesn’t have permission to be on the property. Generally, there is no duty to warn unless the owner knows the trespasser is present and has actual knowledge of a hazardous condition on the premises. 
  • Licensee – A social guest the property owner allows on-premises. Owners must warn licensees or potential dangers but aren’t always required to fix the condition.
  • Invitee – A person actually invited onto a property, such as a customer inside a supermarket, an apartment tenant, or a potential employee walking into an office building for an interview. 

How Can I Pursue Compensation for My Injuries?

Usually, a victim injured on someone else’s property in Kansas City files a lawsuit in civil court seeking compensation from a negligent property owner if they cannot reach a fair settlement with the owner’s insurance company. To recover, you must prove to a judge or jury:

  • The property owner owed you a duty of care,
  • The owner negligently breached that duty through an act or a failure to act when needed, 
  • The negligence caused your accident, and 
  • You suffered harm or damage due to the owner’s negligence.

It can be difficult to prove these elements in many situations, so consulting a skilled personal injury attorney can help you avoid costly legal missteps. 

Talk to a Kansas City, MO Personal Injury Attorney

Being injured unexpectedly on someone else’s property can be an overwhelming, life-changing experience. Contact the experienced Kansas City Personal Injury Attorneys at Krause & Kinsman to fight for the compensation you deserve and prevent your situation from becoming worse. We’ll work to protect your best interests and use our knowledge, skill, and resources to make the best of an unfortunate situation. Call us at (816) 307-2352 or contact us online to schedule your free initial consultation. We look forward to answering your questions and helping you get back on your feet!

Super Lawyers Krause LogoSuper Lawyers Krause Logo
Rising Stars Krause LogoRising Stars Krause Logo
Best of KC LogoBest of KC Logo
Top 40 Under 40 LogoTop 40 Under 40 Logo
Rising Stars Kinsman LogoRising Stars Kinsman Logo
Super Lawyers Kinsman LogoSuper Lawyers Kinsman Logo
Avvo Rating KrauseAvvo Rating Krause
Kansas Trial Lawyers Association LogoKansas Trial Lawyers Association Logo

Tell Us Your Story

We know it's difficult to tell your story - but we don't mind difficult. We're here to listen and help. Schedule a free case evaluation with Krause & Kinsman so you can be heard.

Krause and Kinsman Law Firm


Get in touch with us today to get started with your FREE case review. We're only a call, click, or short drive away.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute legal advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific legal issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a meeting with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form below.