If you plan to be driving on Kansas City roads, you should take precautions to protect yourself. Here are some tips for safety:
Wear Your Seat Belt
Seat belts should be worn low on the waist and snug across the shoulder and chest. Seat belts are essential whether your vehicle has an airbag or not. An airbag will keep you in the car in a head on collision but will be protect you if you are hit from the side or the car flips. Seat belts are necessary and, in Missouri, the law requires the operator and all passengers wear proper fitting seat belts.
To avoid making mistakes, or being in an accident because of someone else’s mistake, you must drive defensively. Sit up straight, move your seat close enough to the steering wheel and pedals, and stay alert. As a defensive driver you should:
- Be aware of your surroundings;
- Be ready to react if others make driving mistakes; and
- Look before crossing intersections even if you have a green light or right of way.
Distracted drivers are more likely to be involved in car accidents. Distraction comes in many forms; it can be anything that takes your attention away from focusing on your driving. Be sure to:
- Pull off of the road to find a safe place to talk on the cell phone or look for items in the vehicle;
- Select your music choice before you get on the road;
- Do not let others ride with you if they distract you;
- Never read while you are driving;
- Plan your trip before you leave and get directions to your destination; and
- Do not put on makeup, shave, or eat while driving.
Look Out for the Other Guys
Even if you are the safest driver out there, other drivers pose a serious risk to your safety. Always be prepared for the unexpected. Pay special attention to oncoming vehicles. Head-on collisions usually happen when a distracted driver crosses the center line. Be sure not to swerve too far and veer off the road when trying to avoid an oncoming driver.
Pay Attention to Weather Conditions
Certain weather conditions can affect safe driving. Remember, snow is not the only dangerous driving condition mother nature brings. Check your tire pressure and tire thickness to avoid hydroplaning. Have sunglasses on hand to block out the blinding sun. Watch the weather to be sure you know if and when black ice may form.
Even the safest of drivers find themselves in car accidents at times. Whether or not you feel the accident was your fault, it is important to contact an experienced car accident attorney today to discuss your options. Contact a Kansas City car accident attorney at the Krause & Kinsman Law Firm today for a free consultation.