I Was Injured in a Drunk Driving Accident! Who’s Responsible?

Unfortunately, impaired drivers are all too common in the Kansas City region and bring tragic consequences with them. 31 percent of all fatalities in the region involve impaired motorists; that is, motorists under the influence of any drug or with a blood alcohol level at or over the legal limit of 0.08%. If you were injured in a car accident involving a drunk driver, it seems logical you’d be able to recover damages from an at-fault driver breaking the law and behaving extremely negligently. This is often true, but you may also be able to recover compensation from other sources as well. Contact a Kansas City car accident attorney to fight for you and help you learn who may owe you compensation. 

Drivers and Insurance Companies

An insurance company for an at-fault driver will often be the source of compensation you receive for your injuries. However, there are circumstances where other parties involved may be responsible for your damages as well.

Impaired Drivers

Impaired drivers, if they are charged with driving while intoxicated, will not only face criminal charges but maybe presumed negligent (called negligence per se) because they violated a law designed to keep you safe and caused your injuries. In some cases, you may be able to recover from their personal assets in addition to their insurer.

Sober Drivers

Even if another driver involved in the collision that took place between you and the drunk driver was sober, they may still be partly responsible for your damages under comparative negligence. 

Your Own Insurance Company

Drunk driving car accidents are often severe and result in catastrophic injuries or worse; these damages may exceed the coverage limits on other drivers’ insurance policies. However, if you have uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage under your own auto insurance policy, you could potentially recover from your insurance company.

Bars and Restaurants

Sometimes it’s even possible to sue and recover from a bar, restaurant owner, or bartender in Kansas City under what is known as Dram Shop Laws. In Missouri, bars, and restaurants that continue to sell person alcohol for consumption on-site once they appear noticeably intoxicated may be responsible for your damages if their patron gets behind the wheel drunk and causes your accident.

Talk to a Kansas City, MO Car Accident Attorney

Drunk driving accidents are tragic, avoidable incidents that often raise more questions than answers. If you or a loved one were hurt in by an impaired motorist, the skilled Kansas City Car Accident Attorneys at Krause & Kinsman can answer your questions and build the strongest case possible to give you the best chance to recover maximum possible compensation. We have extensive experience dealing with insurance companies and will look out for your best interests so you can have peace of mind and focus on your recovery. Call us at (816) 307-2352 or contact us online to schedule your initial free consultation today. Let us provide guidance and help you take steps to protect your rights. 

Super Lawyers Krause LogoSuper Lawyers Krause Logo
Rising Stars Krause LogoRising Stars Krause Logo
Best of KC LogoBest of KC Logo
Top 40 Under 40 LogoTop 40 Under 40 Logo
Rising Stars Kinsman LogoRising Stars Kinsman Logo
Super Lawyers Kinsman LogoSuper Lawyers Kinsman Logo
Avvo Rating KrauseAvvo Rating Krause
Kansas Trial Lawyers Association LogoKansas Trial Lawyers Association Logo

Tell Us Your Story

We know it's difficult to tell your story - but we don't mind difficult. We're here to listen and help. Schedule a free case evaluation with Krause & Kinsman so you can be heard.

Krause and Kinsman Law Firm


Get in touch with us today to get started with your FREE case review. We're only a call, click, or short drive away.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute legal advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific legal issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a meeting with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form below.