Missouri Statute of Limitations for Car Accidents

Kansas City, Missouri Auto Accident Attorney

It is important to take action as soon as possible to not miss the time limit.

Statutes of limitation for car accident cases in Missouri are provided in Missouri Revised Statutes § 516.120. Specifically, you have five years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit and seek recovery. Most states have two-year time limit on accidents. Missouri residents have extra time to consider their options, collect evidence, and file actions after an auto collision.

When is the ideal time to file my claim? 

Deciding exactly when to file and settle a claim is tricky and varies from case to case. Missouri may have a liberal five-year time limit on bringing a claim, but that does not mean you should procrastinate and wait until the last moment to file. There is actually a rather delicate balance when it comes to the timing of filing a car accident claim or lawsuit.

What is the purpose of statutes of limitations?

Missouri statutes of limitations were put into place primarily as a means to protect defendants. It would be unreasonable for every person ever involved in a car accident to have to look over their shoulder waiting to be slapped with a potential lawsuit for the rest of their lives.

What Our Clients Say

Is It Too Late For Your Car Accident Case? 816.200.2900
Super Lawyers Krause Logo
Rising Stars Krause Logo
Best of KC Logo
Top 40 Under 40 Logo
Rising Stars Kinsman Logo
Super Lawyers Kinsman Logo
Avvo Rating Krause
Kansas Trial Lawyers Association Logo

Tell Us Your Story

We know it's difficult to tell your story - but we don't mind difficult. We're here to listen and help. Schedule a free case evaluation with Krause & Kinsman so you can be heard.

Krause and Kinsman Law Firm


Get in touch with us today to get started with your FREE case review. We're only a call, click, or short drive away.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute legal advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific legal issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a meeting with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form below.