Nursing Home Neglect on the Rise

As more and older adults move into nursing homes and assisted living facilities, neglect is becoming a more widespread problem. In fact, nursing home neglect is currently on the rise, according to the Association of Mature American Citizens. Demand for nursing homes is high, and will likely continue to rise in the next half dozen decades, meaning that thousands of more nursing homes and senior living centers will pop up in the coming years.

The federal government is already having trouble with oversight on nursing homes to reduce abuse and neglect, according to Politico. It is only reasonable that abuse and neglect will continue to rise unless more federal and state funding is made available for long term healthcare and oversight. If you or a loved one were taken advantage of, abused, or neglected at a nursing home or assisted living facility, a Kansas City Personal Injury attorney can help compensate you for the physical, emotional, and psychological harm that you have been unfairly subjected to.


What Constitutes Neglect?

Nursing homes have a duty to provide a high level of care for all of their guests. After all, the elderly who live in these facilities are paying substantial sums for medical services, good food, clean apartments and beds, and friendly, helpful, and respectful staff. Neglect, which should not be confused with abuse, occurs when the staff:

  • Fails to clean the rooms or beds of residents;
  • Fails to provide proper medical care and attention for the residents;
  • Fails to administer the proper type and doses of medication;
  • Fails to feed residents on time;
  • Fails to help the resident get out of or into bed;
  • Does not quickly attending to falls or calls for help;
  • Does not address wounds or illnesses;
  • Fails to move residents who are bedridden to avoid the development of bedsores;
  • Fails to change adult diapers;
  • Fails to fix damaged or dysfunctioning furniture, appliances, heaters, air conditioners, etc.; and
  • Fails to perform other mandatory duties and obligations.

Abuse is causing harm to the residents intentionally, such as shoving, pinching, or making fun of a resident. The outcomes of abuse and neglect can be the same, but it is important to distinguish the difference between the two when filing a personal injury claim.


Signs of Neglect to Watch Out For

If you recognize the following signs of neglect in your older loved one, there may be a reason to believe that neglect is occurring:

  • Unexplained injuries, such as bruises or cuts;
  • Injuries or illnesses that do not seem to go away;
  • Rapid weight loss or weight gain;
  • Always appearing unkempt or dirty;
  • Messy living areas;
  • Depression;
  • Anxiety;
  • No longer wanting to partake in social activities;
  • Bedsores; or
  • Any other type of rapid decline in physical, emotional, or psychological well being.  


Contact a Kansas City Nursing Home Neglect Attorney

If you have noticed signs that your loved one has been neglected, or you yourself as a resident of a senior home believe that you have been neglected, the time to call a Kansas City Personal Injury attorney is now. Our lawyer will quickly begin a thorough investigation to get to the bottom of the issue and will work towards maximum compensation for you or your loved one. Call the Kansas City nursing home neglect attorneys of the Krause and Kinsman Law Firm today at 816-399-3356 to schedule a free consultation.

Super Lawyers Krause Logo
Rising Stars Krause Logo
Best of KC Logo
Top 40 Under 40 Logo
Rising Stars Kinsman Logo
Super Lawyers Kinsman Logo
Avvo Rating Krause
Kansas Trial Lawyers Association Logo

Tell Us Your Story

We know it's difficult to tell your story - but we don't mind difficult. We're here to listen and help. Schedule a free case evaluation with Krause & Kinsman so you can be heard.

Krause and Kinsman Law Firm


Get in touch with us today to get started with your FREE case review. We're only a call, click, or short drive away.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute legal advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific legal issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a meeting with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form below.