Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Insurance Claims in Missouri

Missouri residents are required to carry $25,000 in uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. This insurance covers you against the possibility of having expenses in excess of the other driver’s liability coverage, getting hit by an uninsured driver, or being involved in an accident where the other driver flees the scene

Missouri is one of the few states that require that all drivers carry UM/UIM insurance. But despite the fact that Missouri requires all drivers to carry liability insurance, authorities estimate that 14 percent of all drivers on the road are not covered. 

Nonetheless, filing a claim on your own policy can be as tricky as filing a claim against another driver’s policy. Insurance companies are not enthusiastic about paying out on these claims and, while Missouri is better insofar as there are more motorists paying into the UM/UIM pool, insurance companies are always in the business of making money and denying or reducing the value of the claims is how they accomplish that.


Do I Need a Lawyer to File a Claim on My Own Policy?

Generally speaking, the higher the stakes are, the more important it is that you have a lawyer file a claim on your behalf. The insurance company will be looking for ways to deny coverage, including medical coverage, in the event that you file a claim on your own policy. As well you know, you’re required to turn over medical information to them so, if they see that you had a prior injury from some other event, they may claim that your UM/UIM policy doesn’t cover damages related to that injury. Even if the car accident caused you to become re-injured. It’s a point of contention that they can raise to make the process more difficult for you. Plenty of motorists will throw up their hands and let it pass simply because they want to be done with the whole situation. But you’ll only have one chance to get a fair settlement for your lawsuit, so we advise you to not take whatever the insurance company is willing to give you.


Filing Two Claims on Different Policies

It can get tricky when you’re filing a claim against the other driver’s liability policy and then you’re own underinsured motorist policy. This happens when your damages and costs related to the accident exceed the policy limits of the other driver’s liability coverage. In Missouri, the minimum liability coverage is $25,000 with a $50,000 maximum when there are multiple injured parties. It’s very easy to imagine a situation where you or your passengers require more coverage for lost time from work and medical expenses. In that case, you will be filing claims against two different policies.


Krause and Kinsman Law Firm Can Help

If you’ve suffered extensive injuries, been involved in an accident in which your passengers were injured, or the other driver didn’t carry insurance, a Kansas City car accident lawyer at the Krause and Kinsman Law Firm can help you litigate your claim if the insurance company wants to play hardball. Call us today to set up a free consultation.

Super Lawyers Krause Logo
Rising Stars Krause Logo
Best of KC Logo
Top 40 Under 40 Logo
Rising Stars Kinsman Logo
Super Lawyers Kinsman Logo
Avvo Rating Krause
Kansas Trial Lawyers Association Logo

Tell Us Your Story

We know it's difficult to tell your story - but we don't mind difficult. We're here to listen and help. Schedule a free case evaluation with Krause & Kinsman so you can be heard.

Krause and Kinsman Law Firm


Get in touch with us today to get started with your FREE case review. We're only a call, click, or short drive away.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute legal advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific legal issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a meeting with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form below.